- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound flaky white fish, such as haddock, tilapia or cod (see Tip), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Anaheim or poblano chile pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add fish, tomatoes and their juices, chile pepper, cilantro, olives, capers, oregano and salt; stir to combine. Add up to 1/2 cup water if the mixture seems dry. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with avocado (if using).
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Iron & vitamin A (15%).