Monday, May 13, 2013

Avocado Toast

I was sitting out on my patio enjoying a cup of coffee, and reading a new cooking magazine I picked up yesterday, but I only got to page 6 when the most simple recipe caught my eye. What do I do? First, I Googled the recipe on the Internet, which I luckily found in a flash. And then, to my delight, I found a little story. There’s nothing that makes food taste better than a good story.

Adam started out his post by saying, “Funny how the tastiest dishes are often the simplest.

Last summer, Adam hosted a little gathering splurging on a dry-aged, bone in rib eye and a whole branzino (fish – also marketed as Mediterranean seabass). But he realized that he hadn’t thought about an appetizer and found himself rummaging through the fridge to see what was available. He came across the makings of this quick recipe, which turned out to be the hit of the party, including overshadowing his prized rib eye.

He mentioned he was hardly the first guy to serve avocado toast. And that in New York, you can always order it at Cafe Gitane, which is famous for its cool clientele and even cooler waitstaff. And a few months back, his art director, Elizabeth Spiridakis, instagrammed a beautiful shot of the avocado toast she'd had for breakfast while on vacation in Tulum, Mexico.



Luckily, I hadn't had breakfast this morning either. I flipped on the grill and popped into the house to grab a slice of bread and assemble the ingredients I needed. Yes, it was that easy. I’m thoroughly enjoying my avocado toast right now—it’s delicious. Plus, I had invited a friend to join me for coffee and scones later this week, but I think I’ve just changed the menu!


Avocado Toast

6 slices of rustic bread
1-2 garlic cloves, halved
1-2 ripe avocados, sliced
Extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Crushed red pepper flakes

Grill the bread slices until they begin to char, then remove from the grill and rub one side of each slice with garlic. Layer the toasts with avocado slices, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and crushed red pepper flakes.

Hint from Adam: The toasts are brilliant done on the grill, but they also turn out just fine under the broiler.

1 comment: